This is our second chicken coop. Our first coop turned out to be neither critter or rodent proof. After we lost our first batch of hens to a fox, it was time to change our coop design. We took what we learned the first time round and made a bigger and better coop with ventilation, heating, more egg boxes and easy access for both hens and people. We also added a larger rodent and critter safe enclosure for the girls to roam around when we leave for extended trips.
Our new chicken coop was built last summer by our teenage son and his friends. They made sure to run rodent proof wire all along the bottom and sides of the coop enclosure. This has helped to drastically reduce our mouse problem. Most of the supplies they picked up at Resource 2000. It took them a month and a lot of heated debates but now we have a wonderful safe home for our chickens.